Sen. Jeremy Moss is serving his first term representing the 11th State Senate District in southern Oakland County.
Jeremy grew up in Southfield and attended Michigan State University. He participated in several student-led humanitarian aid missions in the US and around the globe, twice traveling to New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to assist with cleanup efforts and spending time abroad in Uruguay to build housing in among the most impoverished areas of South America.
As an MSU student, Jeremy studied in South Africa, completing a program on race relations. While there, he helped to build and establish Vumundzuku Bya-Vana Children’s Center in the township of Zonkizizwe to assist at-risk children orphaned by HIV/AIDS. He returned home to earn a bachelor’s degree in journalism with an additional major in political science and graduated from MSU with high honors.
In 2011, Jeremy successfully ran for a seat on the Southfield City Council, becoming the youngest-ever elected official in city hall’s history at age 25. Jeremy worked with his colleagues on City Council on policies that led to record investment in local road construction and consecutive years of declining crime.
Jeremy was elected to the Michigan House of Representatives in 2014 and served as the Democratic Whip. As an advocate for ethics and accountability, he worked across the aisle to pass ten bills in the House that would open up government records to public scrutiny by subjecting the governor’s office and state legislature to principles of the Freedom of Information Act.
He is continuing those efforts in the State Senate while also working to restore the harsh cuts to local governments and school districts that have impacted the lives of working families, retirees and students.
Jeremy is formerly a board member of Congregation Beth Ahm in Oakland County and currently an advisory board member of the Martin Luther King Task Force in Southfield.
- BA in Journalism and Political Science, Graduated with High Honors from MSU
- Studied Race Relations in South Africa
- Michigan Political Leadership Program Fellowship through MSU
- State Senator, 2019 - Present
- State Representative, 2015 - 2018
- Southfield City Councilman, 2011 - 2014
Civic and Community Affiliations:
- Congregation Beth Ahm, Former Board Trustee
- Martin Luther King Task Force, Member of Advisory Board of Directors
- Magnolia Homeowners Association, Member
- Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity, Past President (MSU Chapter)
Awards and Honors:
- 2020 Michigan Municipal League's Legislator of the Year
- 2020 Michigan Economic Developers Association Champion
- 2019 Michigan AFL-CIO Legislator of the Year
- 2019 Affirmations Center Community Hero Award Recipient
- 2018 Wylie E. Groves High School Honor Alumnus
- 2017 Michigan Press Association Sunshine Award Recipient
- 2016 Oakland Community College Honors Convocation Speaker
- 2011 Oakland County Democratic Party Young Democrat of the Year
The 11th State Senate District in southern Oakland County